The Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award is the entry point for most aspirant mountain bike leaders, enabling qualified leaders to use their experience to safely guide others on off-road terrain.
Our Cyclewise tutors Rich and Craig have been involved with MTB Leadership from its very beginning. Operating at the highest level for over 10 years, they originally delivered the SMBLA awards programme and were instrumental in that becoming the most highly recognised MTB qualification at that time. 7 years ago they were approached by British Cycling to help create and write the new leadership syllabus for Levels 1, 2 & 3 and spent many months developing the awards to become the industry leading and highly recognised qualifications they are today. Our BC approved Leadership Delivery Center at Whinlatter and the surrounding area provide the best possible venue for completing your training and assessment courses and we are 1 of only 3 providers in the UK qualified to train you up to Level 3, which is testamentour excellent delivery standards.
Delivered by our British Cycling licensed tutors, The Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award is ideal for anyone with experience in mountain biking, who is either working or looking to work in the outdoor sector or simply has a personal interest in gaining all the information needed to go out on their mountain bike, be safe and have fun. The majority of the training is practical and takes place out on the trail in one of the best MTB training areas in the UK.
The course consists of a two-day training course followed by a one-day assessment (for use in AALS defined non-licensable terrain). All Cyclewise MTB Leadership courses run on a ratio of 1:6 or 2:8 from our fantastic British Cycling approved center of excellence at Whinlatter Forest Park. After completing our Leadership training, candidates will be fully debriefed ready for assessment. This award thankfully operates without a height remit, thus giving the opportunity to truly guide in adventurous environment.
A practical assessment will follow after a consolidation period of approximately six weeks allowing sufficient time for you to hone the new skills and knowledge you have obtained during training.
After completing Leadership training, candidates will be debriefed ready for assessment. A consolidation period of a minimum of 6 weeks is recommended prior to returning for assessment.
On successful completion of the BC L2 Assessment candidates will be sufficiently qualified to lead groups of up to 8 riders throughout the UK and Europe.
The course covers a wide variety of topics including:
- Planning and delivery of rides that are appropriate for your group.
- Leading techniques for effective group management.
- Map reading and navigation for a flowing journey.
- Management of accidents and emergency situations.
- Equipment set-up and trail side repairs.
- Core mountain bike techniques.
To attend the training you will need to:
- Be 18 years old or over.
- Be registered with British Cycling’s MTB Leadership Programme. This is a one off cost and BC will then provide you with the training manual, log book, free Ride Membership valid for one year and your log in details for the online learning programme NSPCC Child Protection Awareness in Sport and Active Leisure which you need to complete as part of your pre-course requisites.
- Have mountain biking experience in a variety of terrain and weather conditions.
- Be competent in the techniques and skills required to safely negotiate the typical trail features encountered in the Level 2 environment. As a general guide this is comparable to red-graded purpose-built trails.
- Hold a current two-day outdoor First Aid certificate (this can be undertaken at a later date, but ideally is submitted shortly after assessment). For further details on context and outdoor industry best practice guidelines please see the Institute of Outdoor Learning’s Outdoor First Aid Training Framework.
- You will need to provide your tutor with a logbook of evidence of your recent rides in appropriate terrain (we recommend a minimum of 15 quality rides in the 12 months prior to assessment, four of which should be 4 hours or more in duration). A logbook will be sent to you upon registering for the awards (discuss alternative methods for logging the information required with your tutor). The logbook should provide evidence not only of the location, duration and route of the rides but also demonstrate to the tutor your ability to self-reflect on each ride.
Prior to booking onto a training course you need to pay a one-off cost to register with British Cycling’s MTB Leadership Programme.
BC will then provide you with the training manual, log book, free Ride Membership valid for one year and your log in details for the online learning programme NSPCC Child Protection Awareness in Sport and Active Leisure which you need to complete as part of your pre-course.
Instructor Ratio: 1:6 or 2:8 max
Cost of Training: £175 per person
Course Venue: Whinlatter Forest Park. Braithwaite, Keswick, Cumbria CA12
If you have a gift certificate to redeem or would prefer to be invoiced for your course place rather than booking online please contact email@example.com and we will organise that booking for you.
Upon qualification British Cycling will add your details to a database of guides to promote your guiding services. We can also run courses on request for your centre or group, please contact us for more details.
Gift Certificates are available for all our courses and are the perfect gift for any family or friends who ride. Please contact us for more information.
Free Entitlement: When you come along on your Cyclewise course you will be given a discount card that entitles you to 10% off shop purchases for the duration of your course.Contact us on 01768-898775 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about our courses.
COSTS & DETAILS || TWO DAY COURSE £175.00
- Planning and delivery of rides that are appropriate for your group.
Sat 28 Apr 2018 - Sun 29 Apr 2018
8:30AM - 7:00PM
Hamsterley Forest, Hamsterley Forest, Redford Lane, Hamsterley, Durham, DL13 3NL, United Kingdom
6 places available on this course.
If you would like to take the course of a date not shown please get in touch to organise a day to suit your needs.
Please email us on email@example.com.
OTHER COURSES YOU MIGHT LIKE...
British Cycling Level 2 MTB Leadership Assessment (North Yorkshire)
The BC Level 2 Assessment day is available to all candidates wishing to complete their qualification following the Level 2 Training course.
Bike Maintenance Strip & Build Course
The Strip & Build Course is designed for clients who already have a little experience of bike maintenance but would like to increase that knowledge to be able to fully maintain their own bikes.
Core Skills - 2 Day
The most important skills you can ever learn when it comes to mountain biking. Become a better, more confident rider with the ability to control the most difficult of terrain.